Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inspirational Women I Know


Today the itch to write came over me, as it sometimes does.  However, the problem this time was that I wanted to write about a topic other than myself.  I could write about my current life, my baby, my preparations for graduate school, blah blah blah, but it all seemed to feel icky.  I sometimes feel like having a blog is so self-indulgent and I panic after I share it, afraid that others will think, "here she is again, going on and on about herself."  Ick.  So I sat on my couch, leaned back with my face parallel to the ceiling for a few minutes (Maggie was down for her nap so I was not asleep at the parenting wheel, I assure you) and then  suddenly it came to me.

I am lucky enough to have met some really interesting and beautiful women throughout my life.  Truly, every single woman I have ever met has taught me something important, either on purpose or by accident.  Women in general are such beautiful, amazing, resilient beings and I am so, so fortunate to have met so many great ones.  That being said, I could write a book on all the amazing women who've passed through my life, but for the sake of readability, I narrowed it down to five.

In order to do that, I had to think in my mind about women who have influenced me.  I decided on women closer to my age because I think it makes them all the more special.  They have been on this planet approximately the same time as I have and yet their experiences are so vastly different.  I find myself watching these women via Facebook, Instagram, etc. and I am in awe.  Also, most of the women I selected for this post I have not spoken to, really spoken to on a personal friendship level, in a while, in some cases years.  That was intentional, (the selection for this post, not the not speaking to them part). I selected them in particular because I wish to express how inspired I am by them and how much of an impact they have made, and still continue to make, on me.  After I post this, some of these foxy ladies will be like "ummmmmm....maybe I need to stop revealing so much of myself on Facebook because obviously I have a creepy fan stalker."  To that I simply say, "WHY CAN'T WE BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER WAHHHHHH!"  Anyway...

Disclaimer:  these women are not ranked.  As you will see, each one is so incredibly different and to rank them would be offensive to their originality. Also, I have made a link to these women's art sites so find the link in my paragraph about them and check them out!!   So, with that...

1.  Theresa

Grayed Jade Statement Necklace / Silver Plated

Theresa is one of the most gorgeous and genuine people I have ever met in my life.  She is an artist in its truest form.  She has convictions, beliefs, and morals that she stands for actively every single day.  She is a feminist, and she has taught me the value and grace of being a woman.  She makes beautiful jewelry and she donates a portion of all her sales to charity, specifically Children of the Night.

What I love most about Theresa is that she did not wait for anyone to tell her what she should do and who she should be.  She is uniquely different in that she knows who she is, what she deserves, and what she wants to do.  She also believes in the good of others in a way that I had never thought to before.

I admire so much about her and if I could cut/paste qualities into my life, it would be her strength of self.  She takes up space in this world and she is not sorry for it.


2.  Audrey



I knew Audrey in high school.  We had a few classes together and mostly hung out at school, though I do recall going to her house in the coolest friggin' neigborhood around.  Anyway, I digress.  We are Facebook friends now mostly and I think it's safe to say that we do watch each other's lives unfold with interest, at least I do.  Audrey has always stood out to me.  In high school it was because she seemed so much more mature than the other girls.  She lent me "Confessions of a Shopaholic" because she raved about how good it was.  She also gave me an old chocolate box that she'd decoupaged with magazine clippings from the day.  (I still have it, by the way.  I keep my nail polishes in there.)  She is a great artist and she works in a bookstore (so jealous!).

I actually plan to purchase some orchids she makes out of paper from an old copy of Pride and Prejudice. How amazing and beautiful is that?  (*Formal business deal to follow, Audrey!)  Anyway, it is obvious that Audrey is beautiful on the outside, but she is also incredibly smart, and yearns for beautiful things to enrich her soul.  I admire that in her because I too look for those things.  I find her Facebook entries, even about everyday life, are amusing and witty.  I find I look forward to anything she has to say about anything.

If I could cut/paste her qualities into my life, it would be her wit and wherewithal to surround herself with a life she enjoys; a life that, if picked apart by some random person like, say, me, would look like a reflection of her.  Smart, meaningful, beautiful.

3.   Lillian



Beautiful, beautiful woman inside and out.  Lily is also someone I knew from high school.  Similar to Audrey, she is brilliant, funny, witty, goofy, and genuine.  Lily and I got somewhat close toward the later years of high school and I'm sure all would agree when I said that everyone who came in contact with her adored her.  She was homecoming queen, and there couldn't have been a better choice in the world, let alone our school.  She obliterated stereotypes and floated from one social group to another.  She was kind to everyone and she gave each person 100 friend credits right off the bat.  Lily, on top of being beautiful, loved to get weird in the funniest ways, like we all want to do from time to time.  This was probably my number one draw to her.  She too surrounds herself with crafts, art, and writing.  She is a librarian now (I see a theme here in these women I admire), and she is also an artist who focuses on blending art with words. (*Proper request for one of your pieces coming soon from me, Lily!) I find with her too that I look forward to the little quips she posts on Facebook.

If I could cut/paste her qualities into my life, it would be her spirit and faith in people above all else.  I think she has evolved into the woman she is even though she's been in there the whole time, like she has made room for herself, if that makes any sense.  I think she always knew, on some level, that she was a force to be reckoned with, and I think she has learned to use it as a superpower, making her a super-person (see what I did there? Thank you! ... I'll show myself out).

4.  Julie



Julie is part parrot.  Just kidding, but seriously, she is unlike all the others because I only met Julie once a year or two ago but I cannot and will not unfriend her.  I am a true fan of hers and her work.  Greg and I decided to do one of those Paint Nite classes down in LA, you know, where you go to a restaurant, drink wine, and someone teaches you how to paint a picture on canvas.  Julie was the assistant who would walk around and give suggestions about how to use the paint brush or blend colors, etc.  I immediately took to her because our senses of humor seemed spot on compatible.  She gave me her card and said she also had her own business called Let's Gogh Paint.

First of all, I love puns so winner, winner chicken dinner.  I also loved that she had a friggin' body painting business!  How impressive that is  Obviously she is good at it but I also admire her courage.  I'm pretty sure she told me she was from Massachusetts and moved to LA to work on her career.  Awesome.  From what I can tell, she books gigs all the time and has so much to show for it.

If I could cut/paste her qualities into my life, no question, it would be her courage.  I know I have things I am good at, and I constantly toy with the idea of starting my own business.  People like Julie show me that it can be so rewarding to take that leap.  I wish we lived closer so we could be besties.


5.  Liz



I am aware that you can't really see Liz's face in this photo, but I chose it from my Facebook stalking collection to illustrate my point.  Liz is an adventurer.  I am so, so proud to know someone so spontaneous and adventurous.  Like Julie, Liz refuses to put her dreams on a shelf to gather dust.  She has traveled to all seven continents and she currently works in Antarctica.  No biggie, just Antarctica.  I am fascinated by the way her brain works.  She is smart, of course, but she is also not swayed by what others think of her.  I absolutely love her for this.  She is kind to others and she values peoples' opinions, but she is sure of, and bets on, the uncertainties.  I feel so braggy when I talk about my friend Liz to others because I assume, by association, it makes me as cool as her.  It doesn't, but let me pretend.

If I could cut/paste her qualities into my life it would be her assuredness and her bravery to act on her dreams.


So those are my women.  I feel so proud to have met them, if even for a short time.  In my dreams, we would gather every Sunday on Skype, glass of wine in hand, to chat about books we've read or just things we think are ri-god-damn-diculous (because each of these women would appreciate intellectual conversation as well as irreverent banter, I think).  They are amazing, inspirational, beautiful women from whom I continue to learn.  I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment